Some are sad to say goodbye to summer, but in County Down the area really comes to life in autumn. Over the years, the local area has harvested a pile of unmissable annual events that highlight fall’s quintessential charm.
Here are Dufferin Coaching Inn’s top five must-see and-do autumn activities for you to pencil into your diaries:
1. The Festival of Light, Mount Stewart, Friday 20 – Sunday 29 November: Light up a dark evening with a magical light show, reminiscent of the Lumière shows in France. With a winter theme this year, visitors will be enchanted by the famous Lake Walk and dazzling art installations.
2. Pumpkinfest, Castle Ward, Saturday 24th- Sunday 25th October: Bring your little pumpkins to this autumn festival for a full day of pumpkin carving, local crafts in the Stableyard and Farmyard, and even make your very own scarecrow.
3. Hallowtides Festival, Newcastle Promenade, Saturday 31st October: Celebrate Halloween with a bang at this spectacular fireworks display with a breath-taking marine backdrop of this seaside town.
4. Spellbound Festival, Castle Espie Wildfowl & Wetlands Centre, Saturday 24th – Saturday 31st October: Prepare for a spell-binding day out at this fun-filled programme of events including owl displays, a monster mash disco, the spellbound trail, and much more!
5. Daft Eddy’s Restaurant – Go for a cycle through the scenic countryside on your way to stop for a bite to eat at this local restaurant situated on the shores of Strangford Lough. Enjoy fine local cuisine and take in the breath-taking surrounding autumn views.