The Best of Northern Ireland’s Autumn Attractions
Some are sad to say goodbye to summer, but in County Down the area really comes to life in autumn. Over the years, the local area has harvested a pile of unmissable annual events that highlight fall’s quintessential charm.
Here are Dufferin Coaching Inn’s top five must-see and-do autumn activities for you to pencil into your diaries:
1. The Festival of Light, Mount Stewart, Friday 20 – Sunday 29 November: Light up a dark evening with a magical light show, reminiscent of the Lumière shows in France. With a winter theme this year, visitors will be enchanted by the famous Lake Walk and dazzling art installations.
2. Pumpkinfest, Castle Ward, Saturday 24th- Sunday 25th October: Bring your little pumpkins to this autumn festival for a full day of pumpkin carving, local crafts in the Stableyard and Farmyard, and even make your very own scarecrow.
3. Hallowtides Festival, Newcastle Promenade, Saturday 31st October: Celebrate Halloween with a bang at this spectacular fireworks display with a breath-taking marine backdrop of this seaside town.
4. Spellbound Festival, Castle Espie Wildfowl & Wetlands Centre, Saturday 24th – Saturday 31st October: Prepare for a spell-binding day out at this fun-filled programme of events including owl displays, a monster mash disco, the spellbound trail, and much more!
5. Daft Eddy’s Restaurant – Go for a cycle through the scenic countryside on your way to stop for a bite to eat at this local restaurant situated on the shores of Strangford Lough. Enjoy fine local cuisine and take in the breath-taking surrounding autumn views.